Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Assignment #9

ASSIGNMENT PART ONE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this section, we're going to return for a moment to Chapter 7, to the section that discusses errors that are common in the analysis of moral issues (p. 89). Briefly explain each of the following errors in your own words, as if you were explaining the concept to a friend who had never taken this class (consider who, what, when, where, why, how, when); and then give an example of each one, preferably from your own past experience.

Unwarranted Assumptions: If I were to describe this to my friend I would use the same definition given from the text, meaning taking too much for granted. We deal with making unwarranted assumptions all the time. Never realizing it until after the situation already occurred. I know that there has been several times where I say to myself later on, "oh, I probably should not have said nor done that." My parents are a perfect example for this situation. All of my life they have provided me with everything that I have ever needed. Spending ridiculous amounts of money on me when I didn't work for a period of time and on top of that providing me with unconditional love and support.
When I lived in Tallahassee for a year my parents and I made a deal that they would pay rent and I would pay for everything else. Seemed pretty fair. Well there were periods where I could not work due to the overload from school. I would have to make the famous "phone call" to daddy and ask for some money. They always provided me with more than enough. But, knowing that I was going to receive this money I never really thanked them for it. I guess you could say I kind of expected it. (I sound like a brat I know!) Looking back, I never realized what my parents went through in order for me to live on my own and I never appreciated it, until one day there was no more and I was told that I needed to move back. I felt that my situation is a perfect example of unwarranted assumption. I took what they gave me for granted and now there is no more.

Oversimplification: My definition of oversimplification is simply using the easy way out. Basically, trying to figure out how you in the end will get the same results as everyone else, but only doing half the work.
The situation with steroids and professional baseball players is a good example of oversimplification. These professional baseball players are confessing up or being accused of taking "the juice." When people aka the fans found out about this they look at these so called role models differently. These players are taking the easy way out. They are injecting themselves with it, in which it will then make them stronger, powerful, and more likely to improve their stats. While the other non-steroid user players are working twice as hard, and either not having the same results if not worse. It is not fair to the players who do not touch the stuff, while on the other hand the ones who do use it still get the most recognition.

Hasty Conclusions: Simply means, that you judging a book by its cover. You judge based by what you see and not from what you know.
Sadly this occurs all the time. I know that I often have a tendency to Jude before I really know what’s going on. This can be with people, animals, movies, and pictures, whatever.
For example, my mother was never really too fond of dogs, big ones in particular. She always thought of them as being dirty, wild, and terrified they would destroy her home. One day my brother, who was coming in town for the weekend, told her that he was going to bring his roommates dog to our house. His roommate had also gone out of town, but was not able to take his dog and my brother also needed to come home for the weekend. My mother, who would have been against it, did not know he was bringing this massive dog to our home. I say massive because the dog was a rot. The minute he walked inside and cofi (dog name) came in right behind she freaked out.
After she settled down my mother started warming up to cofi, realizing that she was not some vicious beast and actually loving. The entire weekend my mother could not get enough of her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSIGNMENT PART TWO
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Briefly answer the following "chapter opening" questions, in your own words, based on what you learned by studying chapter eight:

1. What do we do in situations where there is more than a single obligation?
In a situation such as this I feel in the end we go with our gut feeling. Knowing that both situations are important, we come to a decision as to which one will benefit us or that person as well. Pretty much, this will have he better outcome.

2. How can we reconcile conflicting obligations?
To reconcile a conflicting obligation we have to come to an understanding as to what in the end is going to be for the best. For example, where I work several people were just told that within the next couple months that they were going to be layed off. Due to the decline in the economy, the company had to come to a drastic decision based on cost and labor. The result of it was that they found labor for a cheaper cost which in the end helps them through this tough time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSIGNMENT PART THREE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. In a nutshell, what is the most important thing, for you, that you learned from this assignment?
The most important thing that I have learned from this assignment is to not take things for granted or not to make unwarranted assumptions. Also try not to make any hasty conclusions for anything. That I need to be more open minded before I begin t judge anyone or anything based on only what I see.

2. How will you apply what you learned through this assignment to your everyday life?
Like I mentioned in question one, to value everything in my life and not take anything for granted. Also to be open minded. There are so many things that I have yet to experience or see in my life, hoping one day in my life I will get to experience them an open heart and mind.

3. What grade do you believe your efforts regarding
This assignment deserve? Justify your answer. I believe that I deserve a 25/25 on this assignment. I followed the instructions as well gave detailed examples for every question.

No comments:

Post a Comment