Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blog Assignment #3

1. Explain what “to give an argument” means in this book.

-The book definition "to give an argument," means to offer a set of reasons or evidence in support of a conclusion. So in other words, if you can back it up everything to are trying to say regarding an issue, you are arguing your point or getting your point across.



2. What are the reasons Weston gives in support of his claim, “arguments are essential”?

- Weston states that arguments are essential because one, it is better to find out which views are better than others. Because if you are stating your point of views, then you should be able to support them with reason as well assess it with a strong conclusion. And the 2nd reason why supporting your argument is essential, is that once we have arrived to a conclusion that is well-supported with reasons, we have to defend it. Your argument should not just repeat the conclusion, but it should also convince others with reasons and evidence.



3. Explain why many students tend to “write an essay, but not an argument”.

- Throughout grade school, many students are taught the typical and standard way of writing an essay. Students are taught to learn and absorb the information then practically regurgitate that information into an essay. Even though they are asked to argue their views on an issue, instead students only elaborate on their statements rather then argue their point of view. I can relate to these students because I myself remember being taught how to write and argumentative essay in high school, but then when I come to college I have received a few papers back that were completely marked up in red saying that, "I didn't support my reasons well enough."



4. Construct two short arguments (one "for" and one "against") as modeled in the Week 3 Assignment section in Blackboard. Put each one in "elements form".



Arguable issue: Whether or not the city of Jacksonville should permit bars to stay open till 3am.

Conclusion: That the city will pass the permit to allow bars to stay open till 3am.

Premises: It is good that the bars stay open till 3am because...

1. People who go out can enjoy themselves more on not worry about last call falling at 1:30am

2. It will bring more money to the bars.

3. Jacksonville could compete with other popular cities in attracting people sue to their time changes.



Arguable issue: Whether or not the city of Jacksonville should permit bars to stay open till 3am.

Conclusion: That the city will not pass the permit allowing bars to stay open till 3am.

Premises: It is not good that the bars stay open till 3am because...

1. It will cause more accident within the city relating to drunk driving.

2. The city is too conservative and would never consider permitting it.

3. There will be too many complaints regarding the idea and the city will over look it.



5. Review the seven rules in chapter one. Briefly discuss how your argument demonstrates that each rule was applied, in the construction of your arguments above.

- The first rule from the total seven states to distinguish premises and conclusion. For my argument i supported it with a strong conclusion and also had supporting reason. The second rule says to Present your ideas in a natural order. For my argument, my idea was simple and clear enough to understand. It flowed and followed and orderly manner. The third rule states to start from a reliable premises. Even though I have a strong conclusion, with my premises or supporting reasons, are equally as strong which enforce my argument better. The fourth rule states, to be concede and concise. What this means is that you have to have clear and organized reasons. My supporting reasons flow accordingly with my arguable issue. the fifth rule is to avoid loaded language. What this means is that your reasons needs to be strong enough to support your argument, but also simple enough so that other can understand what point you are trying to make. Rule six is, use consistent terms meaning to make sure that everything you are supporting is written or stated in a orderly manner. And the last and final rule is stick to one meaning of the term. What this means is try not to venture away from the point you are trying to make. Stick to clear and strong supportive answers.

I believe that my argument was applied in all seven of these rules giving supporting, clear and consistent reasons.

6. Review the three rules in the appendix named, “Definitions”. In your own words, discuss how you took these rules into consideration as you constructed your arguments.

- The first rule states that when terms are unclear, get specific. My arguments were supported with very specific details so that it was clear to understand what I was trying to get across. The second rule mentions that when terms are contested, work from the clear cases. My argument regarding as to whether the city should permits bars to staying open till 3am, even though it doesn't necessarily elaborate on my reasons it is also clear enough to understand the points that I am trying to get state. And the third and final rule is don't expect definitions to do the work of the argument. I feel that with my argument I am not giving definitions, but I am giving actual supportive answers and ideas that one could understand clearly.

7. Good posts demonstrate:
*Sincere reflection, effort, and analysis
*Answers that are substantial (at least one large paragraph each)
*Consistent mention, citation, and integration of the assigned readings (explained in YOUR own words, though)
*Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation
*Correctly titled posts!
How many points do you honestly feel your post this week deserves? Justify your answer.


- I feel that I deserve the full 25 points for this blog post. Not only did i support all of my answers, but I also gave numerous examples as well as strongly support my constructive argument. I put a lot of time, thought and effort into this assignment strongly hoping that as a compensation I receive the full 25 points. =)

2 comments:

  1. Ltrain,

    Excellent post! Very thorough, and I appreciate that you obviously took the 7 rules from chapter 1 into consideration. And look, you already did post #4! Super work, as always. :) KJP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Wait, I want to try to ask everyone a challenging question. My question to you doesn't as much concern the material as it does your last statement. So just for fun, I want to ask:

    Did you put in a lot of time, thought, and effort for the grade, or for the learning? Or both? ;) KJP

    ReplyDelete